Thursday, January 15, 2009

A Brief Update

Hey All,

Ok, so I really don't have a lot of time to write because our tour starts in 20 minutes and I have to grab breakfast but I will just give a short notice.

Arrived in Amsterdam after a very pleasant flight.

Arrived in Moscow after a flight in which I was convinced the plane was going to come apart in the air.

After standing in line for 1 hour and 45 minutes to get through Passport Control, I decided Russia is the most ass-backwards country in the Norther Hemisphere.

Moscow itself is beautiful but very strange. Strange in that it expanded far beyond what it was capable of supporting. The wave of new rich caused businesses to open up Chanels, Pradas, Saks Fifths etc all over the place. But there were never enough rich people to keep these stores full so what ends up happening is that there are MASSIVE shopping centers COMPLETELY void of people. Actually very creepy.

Other than that: it's amazing. The kremlin looks gorgeous covered in snow and all of the old buildings we have visited are striking. Our guide is very very cool and their metro system is better than anything I've ever seen in the Western world.

My next post will be much more in depth and have lots of pictures attached from the last few days.

Armen

1 comment: